Turnham Green in west London is a public park adjacent to Chiswick High Road. It is the heart of the Turnham Green Conservation Area and a valued green lung, offering recreational value to local residents and office workers alike. Its triangle of parkland represents a high profile and well used civic face of the borough, where the residential and commercial meet on either side.
In the centre is Christ Church, a neo-Gothic building designed by George Gilbert Scott and built in 1843. A war memorial stands on the eastern corner in the form of a stone obelisk at the top of a flight of five steps. It was unveiled on 13 November 1921 and was given Grade II listed status in 2015. The old Italianate Chiswick Town Hall built in 1876 over-looks the Green from Heathfield Terrace on the south side. The Green is a space that features both natural beauty, together with key listed buildings.
The western Green is home to the rockery and the wildflower meadow.
After holding extensive local consultations, Friends of Turnham Green, together with Groundworks and Hounslow council, took down derelict buildings on the northwest corner near the High Road. The rocks were used to build a rockery which is a natural play area for children and a popular meeting point.
A wildflower meadow was established around the same time in 2010.
The Eastern Green is the larger part of the Green which is the location of Christ Church. The war memorial is located at the far east side. Cultivate London were contracted to do the bio diverse natural planting scheme at the war memorial.
Friends of Turnham Green worked with Abundance London to transform the concrete raised bed outside the Church into a herb garden that is now maintained by volunteers from Christ Church.